On Saturday 12th October, Queens' College Boat Club officially named and launched its new coxed four, the G. A. Hayter. The four was purchased thanks to a generous bequest from George Hayter (1939-2015).
George Hayter was in the 1st May VIII between 1960 and 1962. He rowed in the 6-seat in the 1962 crew which bumped 4 times in the May Bumps to take Headship. The same crew subsequently won the Ladies Challenge Plate at Henley Royal Regatta in the same year.
The G. A. Hayter is a lightweight bow-loaded coxed four made by Wintech International. We hope the new addition to our fleet will increase the competitiveness of the Club in Fours Races, such as the University Fours Races and the Head of the River Fours Race.
The Club welcomed members of the Hayter family, various alumni from George's era, other supporters of the Club, coaches and current members to the naming ceremony at the Queens' College Boat House. After speeches by the Club President, various alumni and George's eldest son, Edward Hayter, the boat was named by Edward and then blessed by the College Chaplain. The four was then launched and rowed by a mixed crew of current members of the Club.
We look forward to using the new four this term. The 1st Women's IV will be using the G. A. Hayter in University Fours, and also hope to enter the Head of the River Fours Race. Stay tuned to hear how they perform!